Montana Caregivers Network founder arrested

Posted by Matthew Frank on Wed, Jul 14, 2010 at 11:17 AM

Jason Christ, the controversial medical marijuana advocate and founder of Montana Caregivers Network (MCN), was arrested in Missoula late Monday afternoon and charged with disorderly conduct and criminal mischief, both misdemeanors.

Jason Christ, Montana Caregivers Network
  • Jason Christ, Montana Caregivers Network
"The incident that occurred was about marijuana," says Missoula Police Sgt. Bob Bouchee, "but his charges were not related to marijuana, if that makes sense.”

Christ declined to comment, and Chris Arneson, a public relations officer with MCN, declined to give further details surrounding the incident.

“Because it’s on ongoing legal issue I really can’t talk too much about it," Arneson says. "What I can tell you is it was a personal misunderstanding and had nothing to do with Montana Caregivers Network. We believe the charges are frivolous and hope they will be dropped soon.”

Through Missoula-based MCN Christ has likely done more to enroll patients in Montana's medical marijuana program than anyone else. Over the past year the group has organized dozens of medical marijuana clinics throughout the state, with doctors sometimes recommending medical marijuana to more than a 1,000 patients in a single day. But some say the approach has done more to hurt the state's medical marijuana industry than help it.

"For all the flaws in the law, the biggest single problem has been Mr. Christ's exploitation of its vagueness and loopholes," Tom Daubert, founder of Patients and Families United, has said.

The group announced last week that it's shutting down the traveling medical marijuana clinics amid the criticism. Some of the pressure has come from the Montana Board of Medical Examiners, which in May disciplined MCN doctor Patricia Cole, of Whitefish, for failing to maintain the state's standards of care while seeing 151 patients in one day during a MCN clinic last October.

Comments (12)

Showing 1-12 of 12

i met the guy...he's total yuppy fuck...and he's seriously cashing in on montana's medical marijuana situation.... figures a yuppy out of state fuck moves to montana...gets all high and mighty and makes himself and what he's trying to do look and feel like a REAL BIG PIECE OF SHIT...for all those around the state and beyond. Handle your personal shit however but if you're trying to represent a populous of people trying to further ourselves in a positive direction...don't acts like a dick to people in public...quick being a show off prick....quit being a piece of shit...QUIT MAKING THE RESIDENTS OF MONTANA look like pieces of shit WHEN IT'S JASON CHRIST....radical activist stoner douche bag fucking things up for everyone go back to California...Montana doesn't want you here!!!!!

Posted by MThatesJASONCHRIST on 11/04/2011 at 1:20 AM

Why would anyone want to see someone arrested for taking medicine to lessen thier pain? What kind of place do we live in here in the "last best place"?

The sad truth is that the majority of the people on the "committee", just don't give a damn about anyones pain. I have been to Helena and heard the dumb ass comments coming out of the people who have put themselves in charge of something that is obviously beyond thier comprehension. None of them seem to know anything about the reality of growing this herb that has the power to help people manage thier pain and ailments. I have lived in and visited other countries and it is sad for me to say that of all them, the USA has the most unhealthy people I have been around. There is more people here that need what cannabis can do for them than anywhere else I have been. I have also noted we live in the country which has the least freedom. I wish this were not so and I hope that will change but I am a realist.

The truth is out there if you open your mind. Sick and hurting people are being harrassed and jailed. Individuals, which are doing what they can to help people are being demonized. I often hear people from the right wing way of thinking talking about the merits of "rugged individualism" but in reality these rugged individualists are demonized by the very people who love to talk the talk. How many Americans believe we live in a "free country"? It saddens me that we are so controlled in this state and in this nation. It is true that many will not give a damn about all this until they are harrassed and put into prison. Americans need to fight for thier God given freedoms. One of them is the persuit of happyness and to be free of pain. Any country which imprisons thier own people for using a natural herb is probably as far from being free as it is possible to get. The good news is that many wealthy people in our country are becoming more wealthy by investing in private prisons. What kind of wake up call do Americans need? Stay tuned.

report 2 likes, 0 dislikes
Posted by Sammo on 10/23/2010 at 10:13 PM

As a part of the Medical Marijuana community here in Missoula and the Bitterroot Valley, I often have wondered who is the majority? I watched older men that looked as if they couldn't walk much past the door way of the Medical Marijuana shop to get their medicine and then the farmer coming out of the pickup right off the combine because his back hurt to bad to eat supper to also get their medicine. The lady with the $700 Coach bag was really nice! I applaud the majority because they were brave enough for us all and now we should respect that in every thing we do within the industry. And, unfortunately our personal lives often run over into our businesses. As a result of that, the public often looks at us and judges us, right or wrong, for what we have done. It's human nature, as Michael Jackson would say. Sorry, it was all I could reference at this moment. What I do know is that whether or not Christ has been on the greed side of this industry, I am not the one to sit and judge. What I can say for sure is that I was extremely grateful when the clinic was in Missoula and I shook uncontrollably the entire time, had the taste of a AA battery in my mouth, I hadn't slept in days & I couldn't be left alone for fear of a seizure because the MEDICAL COMMUNITY would not and could not help me with my issues. I was seeing a WELL KNOWN NEUROLIGIST IN MISSOULA that is frequently on TV talking about Neurological disorders and they had no clue how to help me! The Emergency Room physician wanted to give me a different pill and that was what caused all my issues to start with. A clinic physician in Stevensville told me it could be my thyroid. OK, I cried when she said that one out, of desperation for help. What is and was going on is an extreme reaction to and withdrawal from EFFEXOR, an anti depression medication I was talked into talking for migraine pain and depression a couple of years prior. After three days on the Internet & talking to every doc I had ever seen. I had to self diagnose and medical marijuana was all that I was suggested and time from every chat room and help number I could call. I thank all the God's there may be and all the staff at Montana Caregivers Network that day. If you had to spend one day in my body even today almost 9 months later you would think twice about putting what we have worked so hard for at jeopardy. I thank Christ for his braveness to do what he does for the community even if greed has raised it's ugly head. I was so grateful for any help and compassion to my situation and understanding were what I received while there. Perhaps a friendly reminder of why we are all here would be nice.
With The Love,
the Other Farmers

Posted by the Other Farmers on 08/23/2010 at 10:48 PM

As one of the closet growers and smokers of montana myself .I am proud to have my medical card finally after 10 + years of having to hide it.As sit here and read all these comments it sounds like everyone is about on the same page here saying that we as the card holders and the little caregivers do not want to see the commercial and in your face and in our kids faces approach . These people that are out there like tom daubaurt and jason christ are advocates for us and the medical industry but mainly for the industry. They like the rest of us want to see marijuana leaglized completely. so you cant merely put the blame in certain places. There is always gonna be bads eggs in every group like jason. And yes I have met him and his is completely out there in la la land. and is diffently a sore on the back side of the medical marijuana industry no matter how much he contributed to the cause . He acts like an idiot insead of a professional. Every adult out there that has ever used the drug know that the effects of even 5 joints back to back are much less than even 2 beers. It is gonna happen in time no matter what anybody says. This is amercia the land with a voice of the people. I think that when we just sit back and let people like tom and jason and rick russo and other various groups that are commercial caregivers that get invites to the subcommittee meetings to talk about the laws and things that need to change and how in fact a subcommittee that is made up of people that dont even have a clue of how things really are for us as patients are getting to vote and dictate how the laws are gonna change. This is a law that was passed in my state with my vote and many other MONTANAS. NOT A SELECT FEW! If any changes are to be made it should be made from the public vote and no other. As far as I am concerned Everyone in that group has violated my civil rights and every other montanans even if it is just recomendations. All of the recomendations .Not a single one helps us as patients or caregivers. In fact The entire 59 page. paper I read last night does nothing but put restrictions on everyone . Everything ranging from limiting our plants for patients down to only 3 in bloom and 3 in veg only. even though we cant even keep up with having enough medicine for ourselves already. And how about the fact they are gonna do away with caregivers and call you providers and you have to buy it from a licensed dispenesary licensed by the state where I might add only people that have a ton of cash that can afford the required fess and insurance. Then to top it off they are targeting just the Chronic pain card holders requireing them to see a pain specialist as well as a doctors recommendation. Thats 2 doctor notes people. I dont know about you but the two main reasons I use medical marijuana is A: My body can't take me swallowing 6-8 pills a day and B: I cant afford 150 .oo every 7 days for pain pills and instine pills. or to even go see the doctors for the rest of my instine issues I am poor. Isit here in pain day in and day out because I cant see a chiropactor 3 days a week like im suppose to do. Icant go to a basic doctor besause it cost me 150 just to get through the door let alone the meds he gives me.We all need help. Just like over half of the state. We need to say enough is enough. and take back our god given rights as human beings to care for ourselves the way we see fit and quit letting a select few of indviduals dictate how we run our lives. We voted it in ,now they want to shape it to conform to their way of life or structure that best suits their needs. These people that are on this subcommittee have their own agendas completely.They are not there to help us, they are there to help the minorty of people that voted against I148 in 2004 election." The proof is in the pudding". Take a look yourself at the board members,who they are and who they represent. Then take a look at a the recomedations. They are a right wing group trying to take control out of the dhhps hands. and completely change the wording and the law itself to profit them for money gains or for personal gains in the future. Not for the majorty who voted in this bill.These supposed loop holes that everyone talks about are just little things that people are blowing up out of porportion just so they can tear apart the guts of the bill. This day today makes me sad to live in Montana and to say I from Montana a place that is now like everywhere else.

Posted by mrjnbrown on 08/21/2010 at 3:30 PM

ALL I CAN SAY IS THIS IS A MONTANA LAW THAT WAS SUPPOSEDLY WRITTEN TO STOP BIG BUSSINESS,NO DISPENSERIES. IAM 1 OF THE FIRST PATIENT/CAREGIVER WHEN THIS LAW WAS MADE LEGAL.THE LITTLE RURAL CAREGIVERS THAT DON'T HIT THE BAD NEWS MEDIA.JASON KNOWS WHAT HE DOES.THE PROBLEM IS IT IS GOING TO MAKE MANS LAST PERSONALLY CONTROLED MEDICINE MORE EXPENSIVE,RED TAPE,LEFT OUT POOR PEOPLE.ALOT OF US PRO'S THAT GIVE AWAY OR REALLY WORK WITH OUR PATIENTS AS USUAL WILL PAY THE PRICE.ALL OVER ONE GUY TOTALLY PISSING OFF THE PEOPLE IN GOVERNMENT THAT WE WANT TO PROVE THE VALUE OF THIS GOD GIVEN MEDICINE,ENFORCE THE NO DISPENSERY LAW(WHY THIS HAS NOT HAPPENED JUST SHOWS HOW CURRUPT THE GOV'T REALLY IS).TURN BACK TIME TO 2007.SIGNED PATIENT/CAREGIVER CUNSULTANT #2## THANK GOD ONLY ABOUT 5% OF GROWERS NO HOW TO PRODUCE REAL QUALITY.FROM RURAL PLAINS MONTANA.

Posted by DIRT FARMER 48 on 08/07/2010 at 8:58 PM

I don't think that he was arrested for his use of marijuana. I'm pretty sure he was arrested on allegations of violating his contract with the state. He has lack of organization and lacks professionalism. The state gave him a big chunk of money to help process green cards, however, it takes him much longer to process them because the house that he operates out of is in disarray. The employees are pretty much just moving piles around. It's honestly the most unorganized entity that I've ever witnessed.

Posted by emgill on 07/28/2010 at 1:30 PM

Hey, if there is a way to make money in the United States, someone will do it - with gusto! Which is all Jason has done, really. It's CAPITALISM! The problem is that all these states that have legalized medical marijuana failed to make their laws 'just-right'. The bigger problem is that they can't. Marijuana should not be illegal, except possibly to minors, and that's it. Governments save money on all the nonsense of making and enforcing complicated and confusing laws. AND governments MAKE money because they can takes. AND AND! Look at all the small business that gets started! Revives the economy (and already has in Montana). More jobs, taxes, income, etc.! ... until Monsanto starts growing it and patents the seeds and pharmaceuticals get patents, etc., ect.!

Posted by Lezlie on 07/18/2010 at 1:15 PM

I worked with Jason that day......

He helped do intake for 35 people...then with no break, he helped them go through out-take....with little more than three sips of water and two bites of rice, he helped many different people with an array of conditions. He was calm, sweet, kind and generous! He was in pain all day long....but seemed to meditate his way through the thick and thin! Thanks from all of us, to Jason and his crew!

Sean-Paul 1st Montana Grow Circle, Helena

Posted by sps1stmtgc on 07/15/2010 at 12:18 AM

I AGREE COMPLETELY WITH Jmichels!!!

Posted by jbombobarker on 07/14/2010 at 5:47 PM

+1 for JMichels

Posted by olo on 07/14/2010 at 3:59 PM

I am one of those people who signed up at their travelling clinics and have heard lots of people are saying that he has given "medical marijuana" a bad image. Personally, I think that it is the ignorance and lies being perpetuated by our media that gives this PLANT a bad image--not the people who are trying to make sure that less fortunate folks can also afford to have legal protection from being sent to prison for choosing the wrong medicine. (and, by "wrong", I mean the one that isn't making pharmaceutical companies and certain politicians extremely rich..)

I applaud the ongoing efforts of the Montana Caregivers Network and am looking forward to the day when our government recognizes what science and common decency demand we do about our counter-productive prohibition laws. Please support sanity in government by telling your representatives to listen to the folks at Law Enforcement Against Prohibition. (www.LEAP.cc)

There are real solutions to the problems we are dealing with, but harassing and locking people up based on their choice of medicine/intoxicant/sacrament/whatever needs to finally stop. Not only is it unconstitutional, it is currently destroying what's left of this once great nation. If we don't end this atrocity now, our children will continue paying a hefty price for our ineptitude.

Posted by JMichels on 07/14/2010 at 2:45 PM

To bad he didn't get thrown in jail... This guys antics are ruining a great thing for a lot of people that actually have legit medical conditions. Hopefully this will serve as a much needed reality check for Mr. Christ and MCN.

Posted by Countryfolkcansurvive on 07/14/2010 at 1:02 PM