Hours: June thru Aug: 8am-8pm, 7 days/week; visitor center 9am-5pm. Sept, Oct, Apr, May: 9am-6pm, 7 days/week; visitor center 9am-4pm. Nov thru Mar: 9 am-4pm weekdays, noon to 4 weekends; visitor center 10am-3pm weekdays, noon-3:30pm weekends.
Price: $5 per vehicle nonresident day-use fee
Travelers' Rest is the name the Corps of Discovery's Meriwether Lewis gave to this campsite straddling Lolo Creek, just a few miles upstream of its juncture with the Bitterroot River. The site had long been used by the area's Salish, Pend d'Oreille and Nez Perce Indians, and the Lewis and Clark expedition found it so nice they camped here twice: September 9-11, 1805, on their way to the Pacific, and June 30-July 3, 1806, on their way back.
What sets Travelers' Rest apart from the preponderance of sites associated with the Corps of Discovery is that it's the only site on the entire Lewis and Clark Trail offering physical confirmation—in the form of a trench latrine tinged with mercury (don't ask)—that Lewis and Clark actually set foot, and dropped trou, on this hallowed ground.
The present-day 51-acre park was opened in May 2002, and is managed by the nonprofit Travelers' Rest Preservation & Heritage Association. (See their site for periodic special events.) A gift shop and interpretive displays focus on the site's history of multi-cultural use. The park is day-use only, and best suited for fishing, birdwatching, picnicking, and just wandering in the footsteps of giants.